Mar 4, 2009

A Suspicious looking device.

So yesterday was quite the day. I had just put the kids on the bus and was on my walk to the gym. This man stops me and says "mam don't go down there there is a suspicious looking device on the street right there." I couldn't really see much but he had an MP there so it was getting worked out. I take a five minute walk out of my way to the gym. Even a bomb is no reason to not hit the gym.

So I go to the gym and hurry through my workout because after all I am pretty curious.

So when I leave the gym I can see more police officers and a few curious onlookers. So I go back to my house where I can actually get a pretty good view. So I'm looking from this little window in my apartment at the device, and it indeed looks like a bomb! So wanting a closer look my friend and I get a pair of binoculars and a camera.

Go a head and click on it. get a better view, it's a fricken bomb
Holy Crap!!!!!!! That's a bomb!!!!! And here I am taking pictures from a hidden location. All for you my fellow bloggers. By this point there are several more police, several more spectators, and a bomb dog. He circles the device and sits down.

At this point I decide I have got to tell my husband this. After all its not everyday that you have a bomb threat in your parking lot. So i get my husband on the phone and he tries to blow me off. But before he can hang up i say "OK but there's a bomb in the parking lot", he says "what does it look like". I say " A bomb, dynamite strapped together with a cord coming out of it", he says " Oh No!, does it say exercise, exercise, exercise on it, I think its mine."
I don't even have time to ask why he has a fake bomb and why its now laying in the middle of the parking lot surrounded by police, bomb dog, and a growing number of spectators. Because he says "RUN!!, give the phone to the nearest MP", I try to talk him out of it but he insists. So here I go running out through the spectators (aka neighbors, and close friends) and to the nearest MP. The MP tries to stop me but I say "I think I know what that is and here's my husband on the phone". He calls the other MP's over and the detective who has now arrived and they all speak to my husband, while I stand there with everyone looking at me. They then go pick the bomb up pass it around and put it in the detectives car, and give me back my phone. They then inform me that I have to go to the police station and make a statement about the events, all the time worrying that my husband was going to jail for planting a fake bomb on a military installation. I'm not sure but I think this is a pretty big deal.

Before I left the station the MP tells me "good thing you came out when you did. We were getting ready to evacuate all the buildings." Can you imagine what a big(o.k. bigger deal) that would have been.

So far he hasn't been arrested but they have given him a new name at work " The Hannam Bomber"(Hannam is the name of the housing development where we are currently living) Good thing I love the man. This is even worse than when he totaled the Humvee.
So anyone who can top that for embarrassing I would love to hear it.


All of this comes after my ill fated talk at district conference just Saturday. My debut as the new district primary president(First and last probably). To sum it up. I show up 10 min after the meeting has started(It took me 50 minutes to go 10 miles, the roads were so bad). I can see a look of relief cross over the faces of the members of the district presidency. The speaker right before me is wrapping it up and I am frazzled and nervous. She finishes so I walk to the stand from the congregation. It is so embarrassing to me. I get like two minutes in to my talk and my cell Phone goes off. You all know how well I hear so you can imagine just how loud it was. Thankfully I left it by Harold and he hurried out of the chapel with it. I did however pause and mumble the words" unbelievable" before beginning my talk again. It wasn't until after the meeting that I realized that people thought I was cursing at whoever phone that was, not knowing it was mine. I would rather they know it was mine then to think I am just mean.
So this week I hope we have met our quota for embarrassing moments for the decade at least. It can't get any worse right?

13 comments:

Kristin D. said...

All of this made me laugh so much. You do go through the funniest things.

Team Pettijohn said...

Oh my gosh...Matt and I are laughing our heads off. Actually I started a little freaked out since I live here, and I was trying to think of what my hair looked like yesterday just in case we would have had to evacuate... it wouldn't have been pretty. So your embarrassment saved me from my own.

The Young's said...

The best story ever! I laughed so hard. This would only happen to you guys.

snapie said...

Harold is "DA BOMB"!

Suzanne said...

I have to agree with Tina! There's nobody like the Stanleys. We miss you guys and your adventures. =)

Darsha said...

Hey you all may want to check your hubby's cars for bombs from now on. "I swear, I didn't know" how lame does that sound. I am just glad it feel off here where I found it and not off post some where. I'm sure they take bombs pretty serious here in South Korea. As embarrassed as I was really could have been worse.

Linda said...

You guys are in top form! :-) Too, too funny. I have a couple questions though--what was Harold doing with that thing? and what was your cell phone ring? :-)

Darsha said...

Linda they were doing some training and he thought that all the bombs(he had three) were in his car. Someone put one on the outside of his car and he didn't know about it. Some how he made it home with it.

As for the phone it plays a song that sings.' Hey hey you got a call so pick up the phone Hey hey. It was so sad.
Remember in Relief Society when that ladies phone went off and it sang really loud Take this job and shove it." That was funny.

Taffers Dawn said...

Oh my goodness! Only you and harold could have something like this happen to them.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

BEST STORY EVER.

T is impressed the bomb was good enough to make the dog sit.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the laugh amidst my rough day! I think I was in the RS room when that ladies cell phone went off. Too funny!

sparkle2go@gmail.com said...

seriously you have the best blog ever!! Come on, a bomb a burnt towel? Thanks for making the evenings entertaining at Fort Rucker. Okay and Miranda seriously is not allowed to be that big and not babysit my kids.

Unknown said...

Oh my heavens, I needed a good laugh this morning! Thanks..